Use Softwood Lye for white pigmentation of untreated or sanded wooden floors and other indoor woodwork of pine and spruce. The product is not recommended for use on hardwood and engineered floors.
Softwood Lye provides a whitewashed look, reduces the natural yellowing process, and preserves the light colour of the wood.
Lye treated surfaces must always be protected with Junckers Natural Soap, Junckers Rustic Oil or one of Junckers water-based lacquers.
For professional and home use.
Package size: 2½ litres.
Milky in the container. Transparent white after drying.
Coverage: 8-10 m² per litre.
pH: Approx. 9.5.
Before application: Shake the can well before use.
Application tools: Flat mop, brush or roller.
Substrate temperature: Minimum 15 °C.
Dilution: Delivered ready for use. Dilution is not recommended.
Drying time at 20 °C and 50 % RH: 6 hours.
Cleaning of tools: Soap and water immediately after use.
Storage: Lasts 2 years if unopened and stored at 20 °C. Not to be exposed to temperatures below 0 °C.
Softwood Lye + Natural Soap:
1 coat Softwood Lye + 3 applications of Natural Soap, clear, white or extra white.
Softwood Lye + Rustic Oil clear, nordic or white:
1 coat Softwood Lye + 2 coats Rustic Oil applied “wet in wet”
+ 1 finishing coat Rustic Oil.
Softwood Lye + one of Junckers' water-based lacquers:
1 coat Softwood Lye + 1 coat PreLak primer
+ 1-2 coats ProFinish or Strong lacquer.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Ensure that the surface is clean, dry and free from dust, wax, grease, polish and soap residues. Irregularities can be removed by sanding in the same direction as the grain using 100-120 grit sandpaper. Vacuum thoroughly to remove sanding dust.
To ensure a uniform result, it is recommended to empty the lye into a plastic bucket. Stir at regular intervals.
- Apply Softwood Lye in an even and uniform layer in the same direction as the wood grain.
- The surface must be treated with sufficient lye to ensure the floor absorbs as much lye as possible.
- Take care not to over-wet the floor. Unabsorbed lye may affect the wood and can cause moisture damage, in the form of swelling of the wood or small cracks in the surface.
- Leave the surface to dry according to recommendation.
- Then sand the surface lightly using a black nylon pad or 180-220 grit sandpaper.
- Remove sanding dust by vacuuming and wipe off the floor with a cloth well wrung in clean water.
- After drying, protect the floor with Junckers Natural Soap, clear, white or extra white.
- Alternatively, the surface can be finished with one of Junckers' water-based lacquers or with Junckers Rustic Oil in clear, nordic or white.
Finishing with Natural Soap:
- 1 litre of Natural Soap is mixed with 10 litres of warm water.
- To saturate the wood, wash the floor three times in two days.
- Always use a well wrung cloth or mop.
- A wooden floor does not tolerate soaking, and any water spillage must be wiped up straight away to avoid water damage.
Finishing with Junckers Rustic Oil, clear, nordic or white:
Larger areas are recommended to be divided into smaller areas, which can be oiled in 30 minutes. Make sure that overlapping edges between the oiled areas do not dry out during treatment.
Apply 2 coats of Rustic Oil wet in wet:
- This is done by first applying one coat of oil.
- Make sure that the oil appears glossy/wet and spread the oil from wet to dry areas, where the oil has been absorbed.
- Wait up to 30 minutes and then apply the second coat.
- After 20-30 minutes working time, and while the oil is still wet, buff the surface lightly with a white nylon pad.
- Finally, remove excess oil with a clean lint-free cloth. Be sure to wipe off all oil to obtain a uniform matt surface.
- Discolouration will occur if excess oil is left to dry on the surface.
- Leave to dry for 16-24 hours.
- Before applying the finishing coat of oil, sand the surface carefully with 180-220 grit sandpaper or a green or black nylon buffing pad.
- Vacuum sanding dust and apply a thin coat of Rustic Oil.
- Remove excess oil with a clean lint-free cloth until the surface feels dry.
- Excess Oil must be removed within 30 minutes of application.
Finishing with Junckers PreLak and one of Junckers' water-based lacquers:
Use Junckers PreLak clear as primer and choose one of Junckers' finishing lacquers according to system recommendation.
- Apply Junckers PreLak and leave to dry for 1-2 hours.
- Sand with 150–180 grit sandpaper in the same direction as the wood grain.
- Vacuum sanding dust and wipe off with a cloth well wrung in clean water.
- Apply one coat of the chosen finishing lacquer.
- Leave to dry overnight and then apply the final coat of lacquer.
Before using the product, read the label on the container carefully and observe the recommended precautionary measures.
See Material Safety Data Sheet for detailed information.
F 2.1 - Junckers Rustic Oil
F 4.2 - Junckers ProFinish
F 5.1 - Junckers Strong
F 5.3 - Junckers PreLak
F 14.2 - Junckers Natural Soap